Join us as Head of Corporate Governance & Company Secretary
- This is an exciting opportunity to join us in a senior leadership role where you will own and lead the Corporate Governance & Secretariat function for Ulster Bank Ireland
- You’ll act as a trusted adviser on corporate governance matters to various boards and committees up to and including the bank board
- It’s a chance to raise your profile and expand your network as you engage with key stakeholders on a range of corporate governance matters
What you’ll do
As Head of Corporate Governance & Company Secretary, you’ll be delivering our strategic objectives by leading core corporate governance and decision making forums. You’ll do this by providing strategic corporate governance and legal entity advice, leadership and direction to the CEO, board and senior executive team.
You’ll be regarded as a key and trusted corporate governance and regulatory affairs adviser to the board, CEO, senior executives and senior committees, and you’ll have the opportunity to work closely with the chairman to promote the effective functioning of the board including board succession planning, non-executive director induction and development and board evaluation.
Your role will also involve:
- Maintaining a fit for purpose, effective and efficient corporate governance framework ensuring we comply with all relevant corporate governance legislation, regulations, statutory and regulatory filings and legal entity and policy standards
- Taking responsibility for the strategic development of corporate governance in line with regulatory and legal requirements and industry best practice
- Helping to refine corporate governance and secretariat processes to improve communication and drive the simplification agenda
- Acting as an expert for a range of policy issues, advising the CEO and the board on issues of corporate governance policy, relevant new regulatory and external policy requirements and general secretariat issues
- Implementing an effective corporate governance operating rhythm for senior colleagues aligned to the board, senior committees and regimes
- Promoting and driving corporate governance best practice among senior colleagues
The skills you’ll need
We’re looking for a senior leader with the ability to influence a wide range of senior stakeholders up to board level and across multiple businesses and functions. You’ll be a qualified lawyer or company secretary with significant experience and a detailed understanding of corporate governance, regulatory and listing requirements, relating to our global footprint, related laws and regulations.
With a keen eye for detail, you’ll have a proven ability to maintain high quality standards and you’ll also be able to manage highly confidential information in a discreet and professional manner.
Additionally, you’ll demonstrate:
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to produce comprehensive and clearly structured minutes and briefings
- Delivery, in line with risk appetite, against all relevant statutory, regulatory, supervisory and legal obligations, escalating concerns where appropriate
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of corporate governance issues affecting the financial services sector and applicable laws, regulations and best practice
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Irish, UK and international banking industry across retail, wealth, corporate and markets business lines
- Comprehensive knowledge of risk, regulation and voluntary codes, governance and control frameworks
Ideally, you’ll bring considerable experience in a listed company or financial services environment.