- Act as a trusted advisor to Commercial customers, peers and management, consulting with customers and stakeholders to ensure that resource deployment (people, time, money) delivers high quality outputs, risk control and value for money for all contracts under management
- Dynamic team leadership in delivering objectives whilst supporting all performance / talent management / succession planning activities in developing direct reports
- Deliver robust relationship management, maximising your own and your team’s engagement with / influence over customers and suppliers alike
- Produce processes, documents and tools that facilitate the embedding of best practice into Head Office contract placement, management and revision activities
- Actively contribute to the creation of programme plans, procurement and contracting strategies
- Deliver the end to end sourcing lifecycle for your area of responsibility, sourcing strategies, project planning & delivery, contract negotiation and award, and contract management;
- Ensuring that all procurement activities represent best value for money, whilst ensuring that its within regulations and best practice
- Provision of Contract Management and Supplier Relationship Management for key suppliers & contracts within area of accountability
- Network actively across Head Office, MOD and OGD’s, Crown Commercial Services and externally in accessing current trends and best practice
- Review current Commercial processes, policy and governance, and general ways of working in identifying opportunities for improvement
- Support the implementation / promote the use of e-business/procurement tools across Head Office
- Act as a role model for others, demonstrating good leadership, effective communication and appropriate behaviours while ensuring compliance with standards and policies
Travel will be required, our customers are based all over the UK.
These roles are central to increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of Head Office Commercial, delivering against our Commercial transformation strategy. This an ideal time for you to join us, developing a broader understanding of end-to-end procurement within a challenging commercial team, and opening opportunities to progress across the wider MOD Commercial function.
Skills / experience / knowledge
- Substantial Commercial / contract management / procurement experience gained within (Public or Private Commercial sectors, with experience of Corporate Services Categories of expenditure) or a similarly complex, matrix organisation
- Previously led small teams that develop, review, negotiate and execute large, complex contracts
- Knowledge of the Commercial lifecycle and related compliance / governance requirements (e.g. EU procurement directives)
- Previous involvement in the design and delivery of a Category and/or Commercial strategy
- Demonstration of excellent stakeholder engagement & management at all levels, internally and externally
- Able to support direct reports when issues are escalated or key decisions with strategic consequences are to be made
Leadership attributes and behaviours
- Holds a track record of successfully leading and developing others, increasing the professionalism and capability of staff while delivering against Head Office goals
- Demonstrable commercial acumen in providing advice to customers, delivering positive outcomes and value for money
- Engaging and collaborative, quickly gaining the respect of/buy in from others. Confidently establishes positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Supports organisational change initiatives, helping staff and peers to transition from the old to the new whilst improving performance and embedding better practices
- Resilient, showing political astuteness in supporting senior stakeholders with varied agenda
- Competently navigates policy and process requirements whilst supporting a varied group of stakeholders operating under challenging circumstances
- Organised, effective at prioritising the use of resources (money, time and people)
- Remains current with Commercial best practice
- Strong communicator (written and oral) in communicating with individuals or groups who possess varying levels of Commercial expertise
- Licenced Commercial Officers are responsible for managing the commercial activities across the spectrum of Acquisition and, depending on experience and level of competence, can have delegation to sign contracts up to £10 Million for Pay Band C1.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline and/or relevant work experience within a similarly large and complex organisation
- CIPS / MCIPS is highly regarded (but not essential). Non-CIPS qualified candidates must be willing to study towards gaining MCIPS (MOD supported) within two years in post, as this is required to obtain a Commercial licence.
- Commercial Business Partner
Direct reports (internal / external):
- Will include the management of a team, details to be confirmed
Other stakeholders (internal / external):
This includes MOD customers, other Commercial teams, Other Government Department’s, Crown Commercial Services, external contractors and suppliers other GCF Commercial peers, Head Office Head of Commercial, Finance representatives
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Commercial Skills and Competency Framework: Section 2 Sourcing, Executing the Sourcing Strategy (Practitioner Level)
- Commercial Skills and Competency Framework: Section 3 Post Award Contract Management and Supplier Management, Contract Performance Management (Practitioner Level)
We employ talented people who challenge and guide each other. At Head Office Commercial you will work within a highly capable team who will support you to develop your skills, knowledge and experience.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
- Market Skills allowance for qualifying candidates
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period for volunteer reserve commitments.
- Special Paid Leave to volunteer up to 6 days a year.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Sports & Social Club, Gym
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.