Service Director- Legal and Democratic Services
- Location: Aylesbury Vale
- Ref: FS11104
- Closing date: 16th February 2020
- Contract type: Permanent
- Working hours: Full Time
- Salary: See advert for detail
We have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and skilled individual to join the new Buckinghamshire Council as the Service Director Legal and Democratic Services.
In April 2020 Buckinghamshire Council will become the UK’s newest council and the residents of Buckinghamshire will be served by a single, unitary council. Buckinghamshire is an ambitious, rapidly growing county, and our economy is one of the strongest in the country. It is an area of outstanding natural beauty and ranks as one of the top rural areas to live in the UK and yet it is incredibly well connected– only an hour from London on the train. The county has a rich history and heritage and is the birthplace of the international Paralympic movement.
About the role
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for exceptional individuals who have the drive, ambition and customer focus to help to shape what the future will look like for the residents and service users of Buckinghamshire.
Be an active member of the Deputy Chief Executive function’s senior leadership team with collective responsibility for the management and leadership of the directorate, encouraging a culture that promotes the values and behaviours of Buckinghamshire Council.
- Lead the Legal service driving forward a professional and reputable legal provision to the whole of the Council.
- Lead the Democratic service delivery support to Members to provide them with the strategic and local information and guidance required to support them in their roles.
For more information please see the attached job summary.
We are looking for exceptional leaders, who will work collaboratively with CMT colleagues, other leaders and elected members to develop the culture and achieve the aims and desired outcomes of the Council. You will need professional credibility, resilience, drive and demonstrable evidence of role modelling the values and behaviours that will underpin how we will work in Buckinghamshire Council.
You will have:
- Substantial experience of leading and managing a legal and democratic service area in a large public sector organisation (preferably local government).
- Proven track record of successfully developing and delivering an effective assurance and governance function.
- Extensive and comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the national policy context, regulatory environment, financial legislation and major issues facing the functional area.
- A relevant degree- qualified barrister or solicitor
To find out more and apply, please visit:
Proud, Ambitious, Collaborative, Trustworthy –doing our very best for our residents, service uses and businesses, with customers at the heart of everything we do.