As the Head of Internal Comms you will develop and direct all internal communications for Whitbread, developing key Whitbread messages to all 30000+ employees, and in particular aligning deeper messaging across all support centre areas, including support to the CEO. We are the UK’s leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100, owning successful brands such as Premier Inn Hotels and with over 35,000 employees worldwide. We have over 700 hotels and 72,000 rooms across the UK, Germany and Middle East. Please visit ( https://www.whitbread.co.uk/about-us) to find out more about Whitbread and our force for good.
Within the role you need to combine the ability to give excellent strategic communication advice and senior stakeholder management with the knowledge and enthusiasm for delivering the tactics that will engage 30000+ team members in our core internal business messaging. This role has three direct reports and is an integral part of the HR team. Note this role excludes day to day operational comms which will continue to be supported by the existing team within central operations.
Please note this role is to accommodate a job share arrangement with the other job sharer already in place.
What you will be doing:
- Communicate the key strategic objectives and successes within and outside of those business areas, both in support centre and across the operational teams
- Enabling colleagues in support centre to engage with and understand their role in delivering our strategic priorities
- Reinforcing the Whitbread culture and making our people feel positively connected to it in all comms
- Align key support centre functional messages with our corporate vision and strategy, and build awareness of those business areas and how they underpin the business
- Build and develop a strong relationship with the appropriate Exec Director and their senior leadership team to facilitate the delivery of excellent communications
- Drive the leadership communications agenda in the dedicated business areas, devising impactful plans which informs and supports their senior leadership population
- Develop an employee communications dashboard for their business areas (aligned to the corporate model), highlighting the effectiveness of the employee communications strategy
- Deliver relevant, clear and engaging communications across all relevant channels
- Manage and develop a range of communication channels for business areas, and continually seek and appraise creative and exciting new ways to communicate messages. Manage the end-to-end delivery of face-to-face events identified in the business areas communications plan. Where necessary, manage external agencies and suppliers to deliver within agreed budget
- Manage the internal comms team
- Be fully prepared to be an integral part of incident communications / response team for internal crises requiring immediate action (on call as required).
- Responsible for advising our senior stakeholders on the appropriate communications to be undertaken and drafting relevant materials in the event of an incident
What we are looking for:
- Significant experience of internal and change communication, driving employee engagement and brand advocacy
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing required
- Proven ability to present complex information in a way that the business will understand, with sensitivity to different audiences (e.g. team members or senior executives)
- Events management – knows how to plan and execute events and interventions that deliver on organisational objectives and drive engagement.
- Strong technical knowledge of creating comms channels including good understanding emerging communication technologies
- Project management skills with proven ability to work within tight timeframes, be self-directed in setting clear goals and manage multiple assignments
- Extremely organised, process orientated and excellent interpersonal skills at all levels
- Has the gravitas and experience to give highly credible advice and inspire confidence at all levels up to and including Executive team
- Leadership ability and experience promoting, coaching and mentoring others to accomplish individual, team and organisational objectives
- Highly discrete; the role holder will have access to sensitive information through its role on HRL therefore the role holder must be diplomatic, professional and able to handle confidential information
- Ability to build strong networks, both internally by liaising across the matrix both within communications, HR and beyond