Allocate and R&D Summary:
Allocate Software has been designing innovative products to optimise complex organisations since 1991. We have taken expertise from a number of industries and applied this to the specific issues and complexity of healthcare. Today we focus on delivering software tools to help healthcare institutions manage their staff safely and efficiently so that they can deliver exceptional care to all their patients. We have customers in 11 countries, with 1,000,000 people deployed using our software in over 800 organisations.
Our R&D function is a global organisation comprising in excess of 200 people with development centres across the United Kingdom, Macedonia, Sweden and Australia. R&D makes up over one third of Allocate’s total headcount and comprises of Architecture; Engineering; UI/UX, Quality Assurance, DevOps and TechOps.
We are seeking an experienced Head of Architecture to lead and build an Enterprise Architecture function across the group, working closely with the CTO, Head of Engineering, and other functional leads to design and deliver a best-in-class architectural solution for the Allocate Human Capital Management stack. They are accountable for the overall architectural direction of the platform and products within it, ensuring robust enterprise architectural patterns are applied, and best-practice approaches are cultivated and shared across the group. They will lead and grow a small team of dedicated architects supporting the R&D engineering teams in a cross-functional delivery structure, and define and drive to a future state architecture that leverages modern technologies and approaches to deliver a best-in-class SAAS platform.
The role reports directly to the CTO and covers the following areas of responsibility:
- Define and deliver a future state architecture leveraging modern cloud technologies and architectural patterns
- Lead and grow an enterprise architecture function to support a 200+ person R&D organisation working in an agile model with 30+ delivery squads.
- Document, disseminate and champion high-class architectural and engineering practices across the organisation, ensuring appropriate levels of consistency and sharing of best practice.
- Maintain and improve a technology radar to support the wider R&D teams in selection and implementation of new tooling and solutions.
- Work closely and effectively with functional leads (Engineering, Quality, DevOps, TechOps) to drive a high-class engineering culture.
- Develop strong working relationships with key internal stakeholders including (but not limited to) Product Management, Country General Managers and Support within each market
- Play an active role in the R&D management team, supporting the wider business needs and the growth of the organisation and its employees as well as budget and resource planning.
- Implement good internal management practices within the team ensuring good communication and collaboration exist both across the architecture function and with the engineering squads and other disciplines beyond.
- Proactively manage risk within projects, escalating where necessary and regularly report status
- Promote high standards of engineering excellence and champion good software engineering practices within the team and the department through high-class, well documented architectural practices.
- Recruit, line manage and coach technical architects with the focus of maintaining an engaged and high performing team, and a strong supporting presence across R&D.
- Ensure all team members have clear and measurable objectives tied to R&D’s strategic plan coupled with personal development plans
- Recommend promotions and pay reviews and identify training needs
- Support the CTO in wider transformation initiatives around technology; process and structure to drive scale and effectiveness across the organisation.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong enterprise architecture experience in a SAAS environment, supporting complex workflow products.
- Demonstrable experience managing an architecture group in a cross-functional agile organisation.
- Good understanding of and experience in defining and supporting non-functional requirements critical to a successful SAAS product architecture
- Experience in cloud environments, such as AWS and Azure and high-level of understanding of the benefits and challenges around developing products in this environment.
- A keen eye on technology innovation and experience of balancing the introduction of new technology trends and capabilities alongside supporting a complex solution set.
- Experience of monolith to microservice transformations and architectural approaches to carry them out at scale while managing risk.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in software engineering, computer science or mathematics
- Strong experience working in an Agile (especially SCRUM) environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills: able to recruit, motivate and lead a team, as well as communicate effectively with non-technical people
- Excellent project management and leadership skills
- Positive, enthusiastic outlook
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail