Director Customer and Product Insights
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest ecommerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 Billion and revenues of $12.8 Billion (2017). Booking.com currently employs more than 17,000 employees in 214 offices in 70 countries worldwide. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts, tree houses and even igloos. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries and territories worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily with Booking.com, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
Financial and Operational Highlights
On Nov 7 2019, Booking Holdings announced its 3rd quarter 2019 financial results. Third-quarter gross travel bookings for Booking Holdings were $25.3 billion, an increase of 4% over a year ago. Room nights booked in the 3rd quarter increased 11% over a year ago. Booking Holdings’ total revenues for the 3rd quarter of 2019 were $5.0 billion, a 4% increase from the prior year. Net income in the 3rd quarter was $2.0 billion, which was 10% higher than the prior year. prior year.
Booking.com Leadership Team
Chief Executive Officer, Glenn Fogel
SVP, Chief Finance Officer, Marcela Martin
SVP, Chief Marketing Officer, Arjan Dijk
SVP, Head of Accommodations, Pepijn Rijvers
SVP, General Counsel, Maria Barros
SVP, Chief People Officer, James Waters interim
SVP, Chief Product Officer, David Vismans
SVP, Commercial Operations, James Waters
For more information on the leadership biographies: please visit https://globalnews.booking.com/executive-biographies/
Profile Director Customer and Product Insights
Are you an outstanding leader? Can you solve complex problems of scale and drive change across a geographically diverse team of 17,000+ employees? Are you excited about joining one of the most successful brands in e-commerce and online travel?
Booking.com is the planet’s #1 accommodation site. With a mission to empower people to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Whether in our Amsterdam HQ or at one of our 214 offices worldwide, our 17,000 employees work hard to help make more than one million travel dreams come true every single day. As we continue to scale at incredible speed and embark on our next chapter, we are actively recruiting the next generation of global executives, with exciting opportunities across a broad range of functions.
We are searching for a Director Customer and Product Insights to join the Customer Insights team in Central Product, based in Amsterdam.
As Director Customer and Product Insights you will be responsible for using quantitative and qualitative research methods to address pertinent business questions across our Product and Marketing teams. This role will require an intimate knowledge of primary research methods (such as surveys, diary studies, interviews and focus groups) as well as secondary methods (such as macro trend analysis, macroeconomic data and desk research). In this role, there will be a unique opportunity to build the Market Research craft in Booking.com and lead the discipline across multiple product and marketing organizations.
Reports to: VP Customer Insights
Direct reports: n/a
Booking.com Stakeholders: Director – Data Science and Analytics, Director User Research, Director Experimentation
This role requires sophisticated internal and external stakeholder management. Internally, you’ll work across multidisciplinary product and marketing teams to identify customer needs, triggers and barriers that affect behaviour and act as the voice of our customer. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for pulling together the plethora of customer data collected and held by various teams across the business to paint an accurate and inspiring picture of our customer base. Externally, you’ll work with research and panel providers, advertising partners (including but not restricted to Google and Facebook), and government groups to gather insights about the travel category, potential commercial opportunities and competitor analysis.
The successful candidate will be a senior leader in research, but also someone who is not scared to get their hands dirty themselves. Your ability to drive innovation forward at a fast pace, respond quickly to new learnings and data, then quickly adapt is essential for success in this role. This role will suit a well-rounded, experienced Market Research profile with a demonstrated background in applying both quant and qual methods in a business environment to identify business opportunities.
- Build and deliver quantitative and qualitative market research insights for use across the business.
- Coach, lead and inspire a team of multidisciplinary Market Researchers to deliver inspiring insights for product and marketing teams.
- Drive continuous innovation research, searching for and delivering new ways of describing and understanding our customers.
- Act as a mentor and leader of the burgeoning craft of Market Research across Booking.com.
- Work closely with the VP Customer Insights and other Insights discipline leads to draw together findings from disparate and differing data sources, then turn these findings into a coherent and compelling narrative for the business.
- Cultivate strong, productive relationships with internal stakeholders in Product and Marketing and external stakeholders, such as research providers and advertising partners.
- Strong analytical skills, with a demonstrated ability to distill the output of complex datasets to business applications
- Experience with designing, leading and implementing Market Research projects at scale
- Experience with primary and secondary research methods in Market Research
- Strong leadership and team management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to make data-driven decisions: understand the role that analytics plays in programmatic
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strategic thinker, able to balance long-term vision with short- and medium-term goals with a strong focus to action.
- An ability to translate business needs into business opportunities which can be executed in small steps, and prioritize them according to business value and impact.
- Highly organized, pragmatic and results-focused
- Ability to clearly outline & present plan and future goals.
- Open for input and feedback, while being able to influence people being challenged by change.
- At least a Masters degree in research field preferred – ideally in Marketing, Economics, Statistics, Psychology, Communications etc.
- 8-10+ years of professional experience in marketing
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast paced and results driven; forward thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Data driven
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
- Opportunity to grow professionally and to shape the future of the global travel industry
- A high-scale, complex, world-renowned product
- See the real time impact of your work
- Smart, driven colleagues and a fast-paced, performance driven culture
- Great headquarters in Amsterdam, one of the Europe’s most cosmopolitan cities
- Scope for rapid career development, continuous training and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and great added perks
APPENDIX: BUSINESS LEADERS BOOKING.COM AND INDUSTRY COMMENTARY
Business Leaders and Overview
- Glenn Fogel (CEO): Video on outlook and competition from Google
- Booking takes flight
- Booking launches ride-hailing service in partnership with Grab
- Booking.com: The Oral History of Travel’s Greatest Acquisition
- Booking.com’s Executive Biographies
- Booking Holdings and acquisitions and internal growth
- Quarterly Results and Annual Reports Booking Holdings
- Skift article: Booking’s Marsha Ma on How to Succeed in China
- Glenn Fogel: We’re on the Road Toward Going Full-Service
- Booking.com FareHarbor Acquisition
- Amsterdam Campus project and video here
Amsterdam and Relocation
- Life in Amsterdam and Relocating to Amsterdam
- Working at Booking.com
- Amsterdam Teleport Information
- 30% ruling Amsterdam info and online calculator
- Numbeo cost of living comparison