OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENT/SECTION
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
MUFG aims to be the world’s most trusted financial group through close collaboration among its operating companies, and to respond to all of the financial needs of its clients, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG’s shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York stock exchanges.
Please visit our website for more information – mufgemea.com.
Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) is responsible for supporting the EMEA Chief Risk Officer to implement an effective risk governance framework across MUFG EMEA, and providing a holistic view of the risks facing MUFG in EMEA, including environmental and social risk management. The department additionally performs risk appetite monitoring and reporting; scenario stress testing and capital adequacy assessments; recovery and resolution planning; model risk management; and new business and product risk governance.
The Governance team within ERM is responsible for developing and maintaining the effectiveness of the risk management framework in EMEA, implementing the risk appetite of senior managers and the Board of Directors through risk policies and ensuring that top and emerging risks are identified and managed working with stakeholders across EMEA.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
- Support the Chief Risk Officer in presenting key information to senior management on the risk profile including top and emerging risks.
- Contribute to embedding a healthy risk culture within the organisation
- Develop and maintain, with relevant risk specialists, international, regional and local risk policies, relevant procedures, and relevant risk committees to support the Risk Management Framework.
- Support the broader risk function and MUFG through the development of talent within the team
- Pursue the objectives of the department by carrying out the personal objectives agreed from time-to time with the Chief Risk Officer and/or Head of ERM
- Support the development of clear, relevant and accurate risk information to ensure CRO provides relevant information to relevant governance committees.
- Ensure risk reporting results in the escalation of the most material holistic risks, including emerging and strategic risks, to demonstrate Senior Manager responsibilities in relation to risk management
- Monitor evolving best governance practice, including roles of risk committees, responsibilities and reporting lines for key risk functions, risk adjustment. Escalate emerging practice to relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate the review of public financial risk disclosures, including year-end financial statements, with input from across the various risk types whilst ensuring that best practice risk disclosure requirements are being met
- Support coordination of regular training in relation to risk and provide transparency over activities and priorities
- Enhance and refresh international and EMEA policies to ensure that they remain fit for purpose, accessible and implement new policies as appropriate, ensuring appropriate stakeholder communication
- Undertake and support senior management self-assessments of adherence to policy
- Develop consistency of Risk Management framework between Bank and Securities covering risk identification, assessment, management and reporting Enhance risk governance framework to ensure appropriate challenge, oversight and escalation of business risks, whilst ensuring efficiency and effectiveness of sub-committees and other forums
- Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders within EMEA, International and Tokyo HQ and support the wider EMEA Network and responsibilities for MUS(EU) under the SLA
- Ensure timely remediation of audit points.
- Support the effective running of the monthly Risk Management Committee
- Identity and implement opportunities to enhance the overall risk management governance structure
- Support the development and delivery of ad-hoc project work (e.g. implementation of new regulatory requirements and/or new internal initiatives from Head Office).
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Relevant experience across enterprise risk management techniques (e.g. risk assessment, risk governance, reporting, policies, risk appetite etc.).
- Implementation of enterprise-wide risk governance frameworks covering key risk stripes market, liquidity, credit, operational risk across the three lines of defence
- Good knowledge of banking and/or investment banking services/global markets products and services.
- Audit / accounting / financial services consulting experience
- Experience of supporting and administering senior management governance committees
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Implementation of regulatory guidance (e.g. SMR, SYSC etc.)
- Understanding of project/change management methodologies.
- Process improvement and process mapping (e.g. Visio).
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.