The position is within State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) Enterprise Risk Management group. The primary focus is to provide independent investment risk oversight across a broad range of investment funds and strategies managed in EMEA, with an emphasis on our Investment Solutions Group (ISG)/ Multi Asset Class products or other compelling asset class experience. The role requires a strong working knowledge across a board range of assets, investment strategies and financial derivative instruments, gained from experience in institutional investment management, risk management and/or research organization.
Sitting within the 2nd line of defence, this Assistant Vice President role reports to the EMEA head of investment risk, providing independent risk oversight for multi asset class products to ensure appropriate levels of risk exist across our client’s portfolios within the EMEA region. We are a diverse team of over 70 risk professionals based in Boston, Stamford, London, Dublin, Krakow, Bangalore and Sydney. As a combined group, we are responsible for identification, control, and reporting of operational, investment, liquidity, credit, and model risk globally.
All over the world, institutional investors rely on SSGA to help them deliver on diverse investment objectives, manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged employees are critical to our continued success. Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential inspires our mission. It’s also part of our dedication to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You will have tools to help you balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. State Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide oversight to senior management and business divisions through communication of key investment risk highlights, emerging risk and themes
- Actively examine, measure, monitor and communicate risk exposures and changes in the risk profile of investment funds and respond to ad-hoc requests from various business groups and senior management
- Ensure appropriate risk management information is produced and reviewed at appropriate intervals
- Maintain and improve the investment risk management framework and processes
- Collaborate with colleagues within the global organization to develop and implement policies, procedures and processes for the investment risk program
- Develop methodologies for improving portfolio risk analytics and undertake unsupervised research on areas of risk management
- Build a collaborative working relationships with investment professionals and promote a shared vision of the benefits of risk-aware decision-making
- Support a culture of risk transparency and effective challenge
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity and ensure compliance with accepted industry practice, company policies, statute and regulatory requirements
Your Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, mathematics or business-related field, or equivalent experience; having CFA or FRM is a plus
- Proven relevant industry experience (data analysis, risk management, risk models)
- Experience with risk concepts and database tools are required, with specific skills in BlackRock Aladdin, Bloomberg’s PORT, MSCI BarraOne and MSCI RiskMetrics considered a plus
- Strong technical skills: ability to build tools and reporting for risk management and to leverage technology and systems.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize effectively, meet deadlines and deliver high quality, error-free work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Deep understanding of portfolio construction, derivative valuation, risk analytics, and investments
- Ability to work with senior management and to build relationships with others throughout the organization
- Capable of taking responsibility for independent projects with limited direct supervision
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Programming skills (VBA, Access, R, Matlab) is a plus