At Abbott, we’re committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we’ve brought new products and technologies to the world – in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals – that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Abbott in Ireland
In Ireland, Abbott employs more than 3,200 people across 11 sites. Abbott has six manufacturing facilities located in Clonmel, Cootehill, Donegal, Longford and Sligo and a third-party manufacturing management operation in Sligo. It has commercial operations in Dublin and shared services in Dublin and Westport. Abbott serves the Irish market with a diverse range of health care products including diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals. Abbott has been operating in Ireland since 1946.
Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets. The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
We are now looking for IQA Manager and this position will include the following:
- This IQA Team Leader has the responsibility for reviewing all SOP’s for any job task he/she may carry out and ensure he/she fully understands and adheres to the SOP.
- Manage inspection of product from incoming and online requirements. Ensure all product is released safely and in a timely manner.
- Liase with vendors regarding Abbott requirements and develop systems to highlight areas of concerns. Schedule and co-ordinate vendor audits and maintain vendor database accordingly.
- Generate Exception Reports (E.R’s) and issue vendor notifications as required.
- Manage Q.A. Inspectors to ensure targets and goals are met. Provide strong leadership to the team to ensure effective systems are in place. Ensure all team members are trained as required.
- Assess and document the reliability of the data generated within the Packing Q.A. area and enhance the quality of data by ensuring results meet required standard.
- Liase closely with Packing Managers and Warehouse Managers regarding schedules and areas where opportunities of improvements can be made.
- Carry out investigations of any non-conformances regard to non-conforming product.
- Initiate carton, can and other commodity specification changes to facilitate new product introductions.
- Review all packing Bill of Materials and materials to ensure they are compliant with customer requirements and Abbott Policy. Ensure label copy is maintained as part of compliance requirements.
- Develop and review SOP’s were the need is identified.
- The position requires a consistent, methodical and speedy approach to problem solving and good follow through on items requiring action.
- Cover laboratory department functions where needed and product release to market place.
- This function will also provide QA related training as needed and provide general support the QA department.
- This Job function will change where update procedures to GMP, EHS, Technical / New Equipment, Quality Procedures & SOP’s are made.
- This list of responsibilities may change depending on plant needs and employees are expected to be adaptable and flexible were this need arises.
- Management of incoming inspection, packing inspection area and vendor requirements.
- There are 5 employee’s incoming inspectors and a Quality Specialist reporting to this function.
- BSc or Diploma in Analytical Science, Food Science or equivalent. Minimum 3 years management/supervisory experience.
- Ability to implement prevention strategies
- Packing inspection presents many challenges; therefore an ability to confront and deal effectively with a challenge is imperative.
- Problem solving skills and technical skills in terms of report writing is essential.
- Trouble-shooting skills and a quick response to issues and challenges are also essential.
- Good audit skills are required.
- Incorrect or poor management of the inspection area and employees could lead to customer dis-satisfaction, rejected batches and market recall of finished product.
Discover why candidates choose a career at Abbott Ireland here