Job profile summary:
BP Downstream manufactures and markets fuels, lubricants and petrochemicals for customers worldwide. Our people make and move products from refineries, blending plants, petrochemical plants, fuel stations and all points in between.
- We have 42,000 people in 11 refineries, 15 petrochemicals plants, 25 lubricants plants and offices worldwide.
Every day we:
- serve 8 million customers
- manufacture 15 million tonnes of petrochemicals
- and fuel 6000 flights
As the world around us evolves faster than ever before in BP’s Downstream we recognise the need to evolve our business to keep pace and support these changes.
Responsible for driving the planning and delivery of strategic, innovative and creative communication campaigns spanning multiple channels that support business priorities, ensuring each campaign works across all Group channels and within relevant businesses, regions and functions, building strong relationships with senior stakeholders to define their communication needs and provide strategic advice and counsel.
The External Communications Manager will be responsible for finding ways to tell our compelling story, influence key policymakers and opinion leaders, and build the reputation of Downstream and BP among our key external stakeholders. Creating campaigns and content that shows us as leaders and innovators, driving the energy transition.
This is a senior role within the communications team and will work closely with our colleagues in marketing and across the wider BP as we start to tell a joined-up story about how we are shaping the future of transport. You will have the ability to:
- have a voice at the table – partner with leaders to deliver an external communication strategy, identifying where communications can add value.
- think big and long-term – build BP’s reputation by creating and executing an external communication strategy to support business priorities.
- make an impact – drive the tactical delivery of this strategy.
- be a dynamic leader – work with the Downstream communications team and agency staff as required.
- invest and spend wisely – manage a budget and track the impact of your choices.
- You’ll have a flair for creating effective and engaging external communication strategies and an eye for seeking out great stories and content.
- By developing external corporate communications campaigns aligned to the Downstream narrative, you will build Downstream and BP’s reputation as a valued and trusted voice on industry issues and the future of transport.
- You will also be a single point of contact with Group Press Office and other areas of Downstream and BP for developing owned and earned media activity for the business.
- You’ll work closely with the rest of the communications team and the Downstream businesses to identify stories that can make an impact externally.
- You will work with marketing to make sure there is unified messages on all media/ social media channels.
- Operating in a safe and compliant manner is critical for BP. As External Communications Manager you will ensure our crisis communications plan and procedures are up to date and well-practiced.
- You’ll be a trusted advisor for our senior leaders, anticipating issues and sharing advice, best practice and insight.
- Measurement matters. You’ll continuously evaluate and report on the impact and effectiveness of communication channels and activity.
- This role operates across the Downstream businesses and functions to identify the reputational and corporate level communication opportunities, aligning strategic themes, gaining business trust and support, and delivering an integrated and holistic approach to telling the Downstream story.
- You’ll need to demonstrate resilience, flexibility, and a willingness to explore different paths to achieve desired outcomes, adjusting quickly and efficiently to changing circumstances.
- This is a global business and you will need to think how stories and content translate in different markets
- Media relations, external affairs, or consultancy background
- Strong written communication skills to convey technical or complex information simply, effectively and creatively.
- Strategic agility, negotiation and foresight
- Crisis communication experience, influencing and coaching skills
- Excellent organizational/project management skills using Microsoft Office 365 tools
Nice to haves:
- Energy, oil & gas, industrials external communications experience
- Experience of agile practices: Trello, Planner, scrums, daily huddles, retrospectives
Educated to degree level (or equivalent), you’ll have several years’ experience advising leaders on reputation, communication and brand issues.
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.