Position: Shop Manager could be full/part time/flexible
Location: Blackburn Cathedral
Reporting to: Area Manager
Context and purpose of the job
Shop managers carry out the day-to-day tasks required for the smooth operation of Cards for Good Causes (CFGC) shops during the trading season. Shop managers are responsible for shop set-up, recruiting volunteers and organising rotas, maintaining adequate stock levels, presenting a tidy shop, daily banking, assisting with publicity tasks and keeping accurate paperwork. All tasks are to be performed as agreed in advance with the RO/AO/LO and in accordance with CFGCâs operational procedures.
CFGC places great emphasis on providing quality service to its member charities and customers alike. The post-holder will play an integral role in this process by ensuring that his/her shop is operated according to operational procedures. The post-holder will be a key point of contact for customers and local volunteers and will be expected to work closely with the RO/AO/LO.
1. Publicity: Assisting RO/AO/LO with publicity tasks
- Ensuring volunteers are contacted on list provided by Head Office
- Utilising volunteers whenever possible
- Recruiting additional volunteers as necessary
- Contacting RO/AO/LO if difficulty is experienced in recruiting the volunteers needed
- Creating a rota indicating names of volunteers and scheduled shifts
- Maintaining a detailed list including name, address, phone number, organisation affiliation and total hours worked for each volunteer
- Obtaining permission from new volunteers for personal details to be kept on file in accordance with the Data Protection Act
- Ensuring that volunteers understand and follow all proper operational procedures.
3. Set Up Shop:
- Deciding on a suitable layout with RO/AO/LO
- Setting up tables and covering them with cloths
- Setting up, labelling and filling display boxes with cards
- Displaying Christmas goods
- Ensuring till is working
- Creating a shop Day File
- Displaying insurance certificate and credit/debit card notice
- Adding seasonal decorations, whilst remaining sensitive to the wishes of the host organisation
- Any other tasks that are necessary to prepare the shop for trading
- Keeping card boxes tidy
- Checking stock levels daily and maintaining appropriate stock levels
- Maintaining Stock Record Sheets
- Reordering stock when necessary
- Forwarding stock paperwork to RO/AO/LO
- Maintaining petty cash book and VAT receipts
- Ensuring shop has adequate float
- Daily banking
- Forwarding banking paperwork to Head Office and RO/AO/LO
6. Maintaining regular contact with RO/AO/LO with regard to sales totals and stock levels either by email or telephone.
7. Ensuring that paperwork is completed accurately and returned on time to Head Office and RO/AO/LO both during and at the close of the trading season
8. Ensuring that the shop is cleared completely at end of trading season
9. Participating in debrief meeting with RO/AO/LO.
Be prepared to:
- Discuss strengths and weaknesses of site
- Identify any problems you experienced with operational procedures