Role Title: Senior Digital Product Manager
Business: Digital – RBWM
New or Existing Role: New
Business context – Digital at HSBC
- Digital is revolutionising financial services at an unprecedented rate. HSBC has invested more than a billion dollars in this ongoing revolution, driving innovation and transforming our digital capabilities. We’re creating digital solutions that will enhance the lives of our 34 million retail banking and wealth management (RBWM) customers worldwide.
- The focus of our digital team is developing new, or streamlining, existing experiences online or on mobile. Our digital agenda covers the full spectrum of capabilities, from underlying technology and security platforms to journeys and messaging. We’re using new technology to ensure we deliver a truly personal and relevant end-to-end customer experience. This is at the heart of our drive to innovate and to compete effectively in a mobile, data-driven world.
- To achieve this, we’ve built a global digital team of more than 4,500 technologists and product owners, in London, India, China, Hong Kong, the US, Canada, Poland and Mexico.
- We’ll deliver this vision by continuing to attract, develop and retain a diverse and inclusive global workforce that reflects the communities in which we operate. These collaborative leaders have the spirit to make change happen – and bravely champion the new ideas that will transform the experiences of our customers.
- This role holder leads and is accountable for the designing, building and running digital journeys covering all products, customer types and channels across HSBCs global RBWM business. This involves leading cross functional teams (composed of anaysts, designers, scrum teams) across different locations operating in a lean agile product development environment.
- As a senior product manager, you will build/manage a team that will:
- Represent the CUSTOMER at all times
- FOCUS on urgent, pervasive and valuable problems to solve
- Be CREATIVE and GET FUNDING for your ideas
- Create COMPETITIVE products that thrive in the market
- And that won’t rest until their products GO LIVE!
Impact on the Business/Function
- Manages the full product lifecycle to ensure that, over time, the needs of customers/users continue to be met and that financial and other benefits are achieved. Acts as owner/champion for one or more products or services. Selects, adopts and adapts appropriate product development methods, tools, and techniques selecting appropriately from predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Analyses market and/or user research, feedback, expert opinion and usage data to understand needs and opportunities. Develops product propositions and determines product positioning and variants for different customer and user segments. Prioritises product requirements and owns the product backlog. Coordinates trials and product launches and supports communications and training. Anticipates changes in customer/user needs; adapts products, and creates product retirement and transitioning plans.
- Contributes to selection of the requirements approach for projects, selecting appropriately from predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Defines and manages scoping, requirements definition and prioritisation activities for initiatives of medium size and complexity. Facilitates input from stakeholders, provides constructive challenge and enables effective prioritisation of requirements. Reviews requirements for errors and omissions. Establishes the requirements base-lines, obtains formal agreement to requirements, and ensures traceability to source. Investigates, manages, and applies authorised requests for changes to base-lined requirements, in line with change management policy.
- Implements demand management analysis and planning activities. Provides advice to help stakeholders adopt and adhere to the agreed demand management approach. Performs what-if analyses and scenario planning; develops insights and proposals to improve business value. Manages the process of integrating demand management with complementary strategic, operational and change management processes. Reviews new business proposals; provides advice on demand issues and routes requests to the right place. Works with business representatives to agree and implement short-term and medium-term modifications to demand. Maintains a register of business requests, including the status of each request, reporting as required.
Leads Customer Excellence:
- Create an environment that empowers staff to be able to respond to customers in a way that is personal and engaging
- Initiate and recognise activities focused on delivering outstanding customer service and/or improving customer advocacy
- Take responsibility for ensuring that appropriate arrangements are in place for delivering a seamless customer experience
- Evaluate customer information from many sources to identify and achieve ways to differentiate and improve customer service
Understands Products, Channels and Propositions :
Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of a broad range of complex customer products, channels and propositions
Understand and explain the value of products, channels and proposition to target customers
Understand and describe the competitive positioning of products, channels and propositions in your business area
Identify and communicate product, channel and proposition improvements
Analyses & Interprets the Marketplace :
Understand and interpret what is happening in the financial services industry and regulatory landscape relative to your own business area
Analyse and communicate what is happening in the financial services markets that you work in
Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of competitors and use that information to improve your own business area
Understand relevant external factors and trends and the implications for your business/function
Actions Creative Problem Resolution :
Identify and define issues or problems that are not obvious; participating actively and constructively in meetings where problems are discussed and resolved
Bring structure and order to undefined problems and/or large scale problems, making them easier to address and solve
Use systemic thinking and creativity in devising solution options
Evaluate relative costs, benefits and obstacles of potential solutions
Improves People and Team Effectiveness :
Build teams based on the capabilities needed to ensure that the team’s work is done effectively
Constantly monitor, promote and improve team effectiveness
Consistently deliver impactful coaching, helping individuals and teams perform at their best
Recognise and reward high performance and quickly address those with performance issues
Management of Risk
The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation. This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours required to support the Best Place to Bank principles of Make Better Products, Sell Them Properly and Keep Them Sold.
The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ability to apply risk assessment and management principles and processes and find ways of solving or pre-empting issues.
Observation of Internal Controls
The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply
This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with the Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators
An entrepreneurial drive, with the ability to deconstruct and solve problems, to investigate drivers and figure out why things happen
Experience in a global or regional roles, working effectively to deliver targets across diverse cultures.
Extensive experience with the range of product development and deployment activities including identifying opportunities and developing business cases, defining product or service requirements, engaging a wide range of functional experts to agree deployment approach, project execution, launch, and post launch performance measurement and management.
Consumer financial services industry experience and strong understanding of Digital business, while experience with travel, lifestyle, and/or other consumer product development is a strong advantage.
Strong communication skills for navigating through business requirements, differences of opinion on approach.
Proven ability to build strong relationships across stakeholder groups.
Proven ability to influence large teams without direct leadership authority.